I started a project on my 20th birthday called One Second Every Day. Beginning at my birthday, I take a short video each day for the whole year and put them all together at the end of the year. All the videos are posted here. Check them out!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

23 - One Second Every Day

Link to my video

It's now been four years that I've been doing my One Second Every Day video. The basic idea is to take a short video every day for a year and mash it all together. Working on this project is a fun creative outlet for me and you'll see this year's is a little different from previous ones. Hopefully you enjoy it!

Each time I finish one of these videos I start looking back and reflecting about all that transpired during that year. This year was one of drastic change. I graduated with my master's and finished my collegiate track career, and suddenly every academic and athletic goal I pursued for years simply ended. Accomplished, done, over. After being a student all my life I'm now a young professional. My super active lifestyle vanished because of a long-term back injury and surgery.  My surroundings changed from my beloved UP to metro-Detroit (it's not bad at all, but nothing beats da Yoop). Friends from college scattered across the country. And at one point I looked around and thought, "What in the world is happening and what do I do now?" 

Don't get me wrong, lots of great things have happened this year and I am thankful for so much. I finished college (again) which led to a terrific and challenging full time job. I completed an athletic career that may not have been perfect but is one I couldn't be prouder of. And when I start rattling off all the places I visited this year - Niagara Falls, Boston, Maine, backpacking and kayaking Pictured Rocks, Cuyohoga Valley, the Smokies, and of course our Arches and Athletes trip - I couldn't ask for much better especially considering my health. And there's my health. The year has been painful and very frustrating, but by the grace of God my surgery went well and has lifted a huge burden. I'm much improved and continually to make strides towards being able to do the things I love doing again. And though most 23 year olds probably don't relish moving back home, living here and spending more time with my family has been a huge blessing. They've continued to be my constant, my rock as things kept changing around me.

So the year may not have gone as perfectly planned. When does it ever? All you can do is work hard, say your prayers, and have faith that God will give you exactly what you need exactly when you need it. Just enjoy the journey.

There is no such thing as going back to square one. Even if you feel like you're having to start over, you are trying again with more knowledge, strength, and power than you had before. You're journey was never over. It was just waiting for you to find it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment